Saturday, October 22, 2005

Seven years in this industry!

On 12th of this month I completed seven years in software industry. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, but I still remember the early days when I used to look at people with 5 years of experience and think they were 'super-seniors', as if I was never going to be like them. Time flies and it flies concord, not Boeing :-) Looking back, I think I was expecting to learn a lot more in 7 years when I started off.

Anyway, it is time to look back at these years and wonder - "Whoa, I am growing old!". To my contemporaries - just think about this : most of the people coming out of colleges now don't know that Internet without Google could exist - they take Google along with roti, kapda and makaan as basic necessities. Going further, most students in high schools and colleges probably don't know that STD phones didn't exist a few years back and there was something called trunk call. They think trunks are only for elephants. Most kids in primary schools aren't aware that there could be a world without mobile phones! Looks like generation gap doesn't really need decades now, it happens in 10 years. People like me _almost_ belong to previous generation already. :-(

2 comments:

  1. Remember these?

    Q. Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
    A. I will be a manager leading a team!

    Q. What'd you like to work on?
    A. Systems side (As if we knew then what it meant)

    Go figure :)

    The most talked about construct?
    Recursion

    ReplyDelete
  2. >>>_almost_ belong to previous generation

    ALMOST???? Wake up and smell the coffee Sripathi...You, I and Annie are very much part of the old brigade...previous generation...

    We had not even see mobile phones during our college days and my cousins send MMS' of their professors' ugly postures in class ;-))

    ReplyDelete