Saturday, April 29, 2006

Radio Mirchi

The day I realised that Radio Mirchi (I think this is their website, not sure though) had begun it's broadcast in Bangalore (93.3 MHz) was in fact one day before they came out with newspapers advertisements about their existence. But I heard that they had been on air for a while already. I was expecting them to come out with full page ads in all major newspapers the day they started out. This must be one of the softest of the 'soft launches' we have seen.

I like their tagline/slogan - "Sakkath hot maga". I also like the fact that their RJs can (and do) speak Kannada. I think they are after the FM Rainbow listeners first to build up a good listener base before taking on the Radiocity goliath. So far, I am listening. Go Mirchi!

On a related topic, we had just 3 FM stations in Bangalore till now. They differ greatly in the way they communicate with their listeners. Radiocity is the most informal ("Yo man", "hey gals", etc). FM Rainbow has the middle path ("Snehithare, Dinner Time karyakramadondige naanu nimma gelathi "). The other Akashavani station, Vividha Bharathi is still stuck in the 1960s (with a stern voice : "Shrothrugale, nimma mechina geethegalu Akashavaniyinda moodi banthu")! I think Mirchi is trying to fit somewhere between Radiocity and Rainbow in this scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment