Friday, September 09, 2005

Katrina aftermath

I am back from the long weekend vacation and am still trying to remember all my gazillion logins and passwords. I have decided to use Revelation for remembering my passwords. With that, I will only need to forget one master password!

I would have written about my trip to the east coast, but Katrina is still a hot subject, so some more about it. It is of course a big tragedy, possibly the biggest natural calamity in the US history. However, I can see some humor in the way the aftermaths are going.

First of all, the 'Superdome' in New Orleans. Only now are people wondering why a board there spelt it as 'Superdoom'. Now people have been shifted to another doom (dome), the Astrodome in Houston. Apparently law and order in New Orleans was also washed away in Katrina fury, so now it is normal to hear gunshots there.
News reader: "Here we have some clips from violence-ridden streets of Baghdad, where our armed forces are engaged in pitched battles with terrorists to protect democracy and liberty of Iraqis. Oh my God, wait! it is not Baghdad, it is our own New Orleans!!!"

News channels and news websites are the only people, I think, who have benefitted from the evil hurricane. However, only a few fortunate (!?) news reporters actually went to where real action is. Many less fortunate ones ended up reporting in a very excited voice, anything and everything related to Katrina in their own hometown. This is something I saw on a local TV station (I am really not making this up!): A TV reporter with an empty parking lot behind her: "THIS VERY SPOT right here is where the truck collecting Katrina relief materials stood till a few hours back, before it left to New Orleans". Desparate, unlucky news reporter!

Gas prices have shot up to all time highs as an effect of the hurricane. We paid 3.5$ per gallon during our trip last weekend. It may be simple for Californians - they just need to transfer their entire salary to gas stations owner's account now. The only place that doesn't need gas could be New Orleans, where people now depend on small boats and kayaks for their commute. It's time they built some Kerala-style backwater resorts in New Orleans to attract tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment