Friday, February 13, 2009

Weather and food habits: epilogue

Recently I had wondered "Why do we like to eat spicy food when it gets cold, but overall spiciest food habits are seen in hottest places on earth". I got two responses from my friends.

Hariprasad said: Its almost as if we are too used to the 'hot' weather and cannot tolerate a deviation from the same. That's our natural state, kind of. So, when the weather gets cold, we are actually 'uncomfortable'. Since we can't do much with the weather, we wear warm clothes and eat hot food trying to 'restore' normalcy, at least in our body."

Ego said: "My Friend wanderlust had the following answer: "it's because in hot climates, food spoils easily unless you preserve it with spices. check it out... the more away from the equator you go, the blander the food.”"

Both explanations sound logical and they are not exclusive of each other. I guess the answer is a combination of these two. Hence I guess I sorta know the answer now. Thanks folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment