Thursday, January 29, 2009

Spam taking over the internet

I read recently that 95% of all e-mail in the world is just spam. I can readily believe that. I am pretty conservative about giving out my mail ids on the internet. In spite of that, gmail tells me I receive more spam than genuine mail. I used to use a mail id on an obscure website long time back. The only reason for using their mail id was that they were giving me 100MB of storage, whereas everyone else was at 2-4MB range back then. I had not visited that mail id in years. Last week somehow I remembered this id and curiously logged into it. While I was not looking, this mail id was slowly and steadily accumulating around 30 spam e-mail ids every day. Everything from offering me millions of dollars for free to offering me online degrees to selling me the blue diamond-shaped pill at very low cost. Some of the mails claimed that they arrived long before I, for that matter, the internet, was born!

Update: Yes, I know why it is 1969. After all, I have worked on UNIX!

1 comment:

  1. emails in 1969!!!!! he he he.........couldn't just stop laughing.......sent this link to many friends.....

    ReplyDelete