Sunday, January 18, 2009

Petrol bunk: part of Bangalore's history?

Last Friday, as I pulled my car into my usual BP Petrol bunk (Yes, we call them petrol bunks in Bangalore, not petrol pumps) on Hosur Road, I noticed something different. I usually fill petrol at Venkateswara and Co, which is on South-bound Hosur road, just before Silk Board fly-over. This place is the most reliable one on my way home. They have never tried to cheat me either by not making the meter zero before beginning or distracting me while petrol is being filled (you know, "Cash or Card, saar?" types). The owner is usually right there, ready to jump in and ensure that the staff don't cheat. This day, the whole place was lit up with colorful lights. There was a little podium made at one end and flower bouquets were placed all over the place, including on the pumps. The owner, all excited, was roaming around instructing the staff to make final moment touch-ups to the decoration. It looked like there was going to be a speech of something.

I picked up a chat with the cashier while my car was being filled. He says "It has been 50 years since this petrol bunk was opened, sir. That's why the celebrations". I can't believe my ears. "50 years?" I say with a lot of exclamation in my voice. "Yes, golden jubilee. The current owner is a third generation owner of this place". The cashier said the news in a matter-of-fact way. I am sure he cannot feel as excited as the owner for this event. After all, he works there for a salary and the owner being strict may in fact be a hinderance for his income.

As I drove off, I kept telling to myself: "Man, 1959. Really? What was there in India back then?" Was Premier Padmini there, at least? This page says NO. Was Ambassador there, after all, it has existed for ever? This page says Ambassador started in 1957, so it was barely there. So there were pretty much no cars at all, except may be a few imported ones. Even Tata trucks hadn't been around for too long. Secondly, this place was well outside the city. Hosur road was probably there, but it wasn't going up to Madras back then. There was no Koramangala and no Indiranagar, forget about BTM. So this place must have been one of the extremely few petrol bunks in Bangalore back then. This is incredible that they have been selling fuel for that long. This place is a part of Bangalore's history!

No comments:

Post a Comment