Friday, August 19, 2005

Independence day!

Last Sunday evening, as India was celebrating Independence day, I was doing something that would have made Gandhi proud - I walked miles together, not because of my patriotism, but because I had lost my way trying to explore some place near Austin's town lake. If you know how Austin's weather is in summer months, when the everyday temperature reads like FM station frequencies - (97.8, 100.3, 103.1, etc) you know that walking miles on hot asphalt is not among the most comfortable things to do. I must have lost at least a pound during that walk. But I found my lost pound at Pizza hut in the evening. This is one of my lost possessions I would have loved not to find back!

Speaking about Independence day celebrations, The India Community Centre, Austin is arranging India's independence day celebrations this weekend. It should be good to see people, who have gained their independence from India, celebrate India's independence day. I wonder if the Indian communities in England too celebrate it. Imagine Indian community chief in London (who, btw, would have taken up UK citizenship two decades ago) saying: "This is the day we got rid of the British". Well....

No comments:

Post a Comment