Monday, March 05, 2007

Customer support and the credit unions in the US

You get to really measure the quality of customer support of a company only when something has gone wrong and you expect them to fix it. For example, you will get to evaluate the customer support of your mobile phone service provider when you are trying to get some error in your bill corrected. I am writing about an example of good customer support that I have received from a credit union in the US.

I am not sure exactly how credit unions in the US are different from the regular banks, probably they run on the same principles as co-operative banks in India. I have been a customer of two credit unions - the first time when I was in Salt Lake City a few years ago and again in 2005, when I was in Austin. It was always nice to interact with them - they created a friendly atmosphere and I was always able to get all my work done with minimum or no hassle.

Recently, I had a bit of trouble while closing my account and getting my money back from IBM-TEFCU. My account had been closed, but my last check went missing! Meanwhile, the credit union had been rebranded as Amplify and it's website design had changed completely. Hence I suspected that it may be difficult to solve the problem and get my money back. However, they responded to my every e-mail promptly and did everything they could to ensure that I get my money back. Today my money has reached me and I feel very satisfied when I send them a thank-you note.

There have been other such incidences where credit unions have given me exceptional help and support. Hence I recommend anyone who is going to the US, especially for the first time, to open their bank account with a well known credit union in their area.

Update: Here is some crisp information about how credit unions differ from regular banks. Now I know why they used to call me a member of the CU, not a customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment