Thursday, February 22, 2007

Strength of unity (and virtues of social living)

I normally sleep for some extra time on Saturdays and Sundays. But last Saturday was different. I woke up to a loud noise created by a bunch of crows outside my bedroom window. When I peeked out of the window, I saw a bunch of crows on the electric wires and nearby houses. They were looking down at the ground and crowing as if their lives depended on it. They used to take to air every few seconds, scoop down to the ground, then fly up into the air and settle again where they were sitting. This activity was drawing the attention of other crows nearby and they were quickly descending on the scene of action to join this activity.

For a minute I could not figure out what was going on. When I looked at the ground, to my surprise, I saw that a crow had fallen on the ground. It's legs were entangled in some rope, making it unable to fly. It was twisting and turning in the dust, trying to free itself from the rope. Meanwhile, a stray dog was eyeing this rare opportunity to lay it's teeth on the crow. That is when it struck me what exactly was going on there. The crow population was making all the noise to encourage the fallen one and they were hovering close to the ground every few seconds to scare off the dog from going too close to their friend. The amount of noise they were making and their intimidating behavior was enough to keep the dog at bay.

After a while, the crow had freed itself from the rope around it's legs. Now it's friends were even more enthusiastic in encouraging it to take to the sky. But it was just sitting there motionless, making me wonder if it had been too hurt to fly. However, after taking a few more minutes to regain itself, the fallen crow finally took off into the air! This was an incredible sight to me. Because of the single-minded, selfless, dedicated effort of the crow community, one of their own escaped what could have been definite death and flew back into the air. The stray dog, which came back after a few minutes, must have been disappointed to find no crow on the ground, no crows hovering around, just a rope lying in the dust. Unlucky day for him. I started my day being impressed about the unity and mutually helpful nature of the crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment