Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Who are these 'Indians'?

Almost every day, English newspapers in India, especially TOI, report news like "NRI girl is the most popular radio jockey in Canada", "NRI becomes the local council member in US" and recently even "NRI is among the sexiest men in the world"! Whenever I see such news, I read through to see if these NRIs are really Indians by any means. Because after all, NRIs should be Non-Resident INDIANS.

I am often surprised at how easily the press categorizes any famous person with a remote link to India as Indians. For example, if the person's grandmother was half Indian, or if the person's forefathers migrated to Fiji from India a couple of centuries ago, or in extreme cases, any Hindu is categorized as Indian, because after all, Hinduism originated in India ;-) Because this person isn't in India now, he/she should be an NRI :-)

I wish the press was more careful while branding anyone and everyone as NRI. For example, people whose forefathers migrated from India, possibly when Shivaji was alive, are not Indians anymore! Ditto about children of sardars who migrated to Canada in 50s. Even a person born and brought up in India, once he/she takes up citizenship of another country, should not be called Indian or NRI. They are not Indians anymore, forgodsake! The max we could go is call them people of Indian origin.

While at it, there is another class of people - Resident Non Indians - RNIs. These are people who are living in India, but behave as if they are not. This is especially seen in desis returning to India after a stint in the US. You know the type - they fill 'gas' in their car's petrol tank, ask for 'restrooms' instead of toilets, talk with a semi-cooked American accent and begin every sentence with either "This is not how it is in US..." or "When I was in US...". I have heard that some of the RNIs haven't even gone out of India once!

3 comments:

  1. Should the press consider naming NRI as PIO (Person of Indian Origin)?. I guess that should solve the imbroglio!

    And as far as RNIs, they are best if unaddressed. Any take on that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty new to blogging and just stumbled across your postings...

    I have only mostly heard of characters you think of calling RNI's but if my memory serves me right, I have met a few of them. The funny part was - those people had not stayed outside India for more than 6 months!
    Something interesting that I've observed in my last two trips to India - People (mostly youngsters) try to mimic the west so much in everything they do... from the way they talk to behave to eat to dress! Its kinda sad, amusing and interesting all at the same time...
    Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @soulfreezer

    PIO........LOLzzzz.....very funny............I think you found a perfact word for people like them......

    ReplyDelete