Monday, April 26, 2010

What good is a social network unless you login?

I have an account on most well known social networking websites. That doesn't mean I am active on any of these. The routine I follow with most of them is:
  1. I get notified of a friend request
  2. I login and process the friend request
  3. I log out.
  4. Do nothing until step 1 repeats.
I don't grow farms, nor do I join any groups. In most cases others have to discover me on these websites, I don't do it pro-actively. Considering this, it is not surprising that I never signed up on one very popular website: Twitter. I had assumed it is a passing fad and had hoped to hop on to the next one that comes along. By the time I realized I underestimated how big Twitter was going to get, everyone and their aunts were busy tweeting. After the Dalai Lama got on twitter and tweets played a role in bringing down a minister, I decided it was finally time for me to join.

There is one problem though. Now that I have signed up, I am treating it the way I treat my Facebook account... not log in unless someone nudges me to. So I have a twitter account to boast of, but not to use. I wonder how many people are my type of social networkers...

2 comments:

  1. I do the same for orkut and others. I still don't have a twitter account. don't feel bad you ain't alone :)

    ReplyDelete