Tuesday, June 09, 2009

UNIX turns 40!

The OS that most people start studying Operating Systems with is turning 40! I have known it for 13 years. I started off with SCO Unix in one of the computer training institutes. It surely wasn't love at first sight. In those days it was very common to see SCO Unix, because that was the only prominent UNIX that ran on Intel. Remember, Linux was hardly on the horizon back then. Later, at my first job my 'desktop' was a dumb terminal connected through a serial ports to the central SVR4 server. This meant it was complete text mode. We had to go looking for a Windows machine to see image attachments sent in e-mails :-) I suppose most people start their UNIX experience with Linux.

2 comments:

  1. My first experience was using AIX through a telnet session on Windows. Did not understand much but it looked cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first linux distro I used was Caldera.

    ReplyDelete