Sunday, June 08, 2008

Does this ever happen to you?

I used to visit my grandfather's house quite often during my childhood. Of late, I go there quite rarely, because nobody lives in that house. Every time I visit the place now-a-days, a strange feeling happens to me. I feel the whole place is much 'smaller' than what is imprinted in my mind. The whole house, rooms in it, the surroundings, the private lake nearby, the front courtyard, everything seems smaller. Further, the distances to nearby places seems much lesser. Distance to the nearby temple, to the beach, to the paddy fields, to the neighbor's house, everything. This has happened to me at a number of places I used to live in while I was a kid. When I visit the towns where I spent my childhood, did my schooling, everything seems to be smaller now. It appears as though the impression in my mind is the relative sizes of these objects to my own size and since I have grown now, the places now appear smaller. This does not seem to happen with places I lived in after my teen years. My college in Mysore, the surroundings, my hostel and so on seem to be of the same size as before.

For a long time, I used to think this happens only to me. Recently, I came to know that I am not alone. Now I wonder whether this happens to everyone. If you read this blog, could you please comment on this?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sripathi,

    its the same with me..i keep pestering my mom saying the same things..y is it looking smalll y y y y y y y anta ...he he i find no solid reason but its really tricky :-)..
    add some more details if u find any..even i shall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe its related to your span, azimuth, and elevation of vision. When young, you were shorter and objects appeared relatively bigger. Now that you've grown in height, you've dwarfed some of them.

    Makes logical sense to me, but may not be the actual reason though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true. I get the same feeling. What looked big when I was very young, I go to the same place now and it looks very small.

    ReplyDelete