Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Planning my day

My employer allows me to work from home (WFH). I am proud of that, because not many companies in Bangalore give such a facility to employees. It greatly enhances flexibility of planning my day. For example, I can leave office at a fixed time in the evening, irrespective of how much work is still pending, because I can always work a few hours after reaching home and get the work done.

Unfortunately all good things come with strings attached. I have recently realized that WFH facility is slowly making me inefficient in planning my day. I no more have the pressure to finish off all my work by the end of the office day! Invariably I push some of the work to later in the night. So now-a-days I _plan_ to work the entire day - the hours I spend in office as well as the hours I spend at home. I am working from home later in the night on pretty much all days, irrespective of whether there is a requirement for that or not.That is definitely bad. I must get back to planning my work only for the office hours and work from home at night only if it is inevitable. I wonder how successful I will be in doing that.

1 comment:

  1. I am fairly pariticular about not working from home on days I go to office - in my opinion, it completely defeats the purpose of you having gone to office. You are forced to finish work before getting back, which of course would mean you may not always be able to start at the same time in the evenings.

    Try it, I am sure it'll help.

    ReplyDelete