Monday, July 10, 2006

State of affairs/ affairs of the State.

I am appalled by the level of politics being played out in Karnataka. I have not written much about politics in this blog so far. In fact I had planned to keep politics out of this completely. But I can't really hold myself, looking at what is happening.

Today I saw on TV our elected representatives physically fighting with each other in Vidhana Soudha because of personal rivalry. BMIC project was the first major controversy hit by Kumaraswamy, who started out as a very promising chief minister. The way BMIC is being handled is a HUGE discouragement to anyone planning to invest in Karnataka. Even if I were an invester, i would wisely choose other states. The new controversy about illegal mining too started out as a way to put Congress MLAs, who had mines in Kanakapura, in discomfort. However, the grandson of soil never thought it would snowball into such a big controversy. Our MLAs, spending crores of our money, are not even having meaningful discussions on the floor of the house. The concept that the elected body should concentrate on making legislations, leaving implementation to IAS officers has been completely forgotten. Corruption is not a hush-hush word to be kept away from media anymore. People of the state are too short sighted to realize where all this is headed. Like a saying goes, "people get a Government they deserve, not a Government they desire".

With nobody in any of the three major political parties to show a better way, I am saddened when I think what the future of this state will be like.

1 comment: